Monday 1 May 2017

Yeadon Dam

I managed to make a brief visit here on Saturday morning on the way to my parents. The usual birds were out on the water - Canada Geese, Mallard, Coot, Tufted Ducks and Mute Swans. Black Headed Gulls and Swallows were flying about over the water. The Swallows are a joy to watch swooping about.






There were quite a few Sparrows hanging off the grasses by the water as we walked around, they were flighty though.

At the top end of the dam where the reeds are we spotted Blue Tits, Linnets, Wren, Willow Warbler, Blackbird and Reed Bunting.



You can just about see the Willow Warbler at the top of the tree



I also heard my first Grasshopper Warbler, it stayed well out of sight of course but you can just about pick out the reeling call on this video. I was pretty pleased, I hung around a while in hope it might show itself but I had to be content with the call, which was pretty much constant.


A little further round near the bike track I heard a  Chiffchaff calling but it stayed out of sight. Nice little visit, i'm glad I had the time to walk around.





6 comments:

  1. I've never seen or heard a grasshopper warbler! I'd like to though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The call is quite amazing even if you don't get to see the bird!

      Delete
  2. Lovely post Pam and some great sightings. It is so good to watch the swallows now they have returned :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) They're quite graceful aren't they!

      Delete
  3. Well done getting the photos, I know it can get a little busy up there..I hope the Grasshopper warbler stays, have seen one at Rodley a few years back, they still get them every year.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily we got there pretty early and it wasn't too bad! It would be great if it did :) xx

      Delete