Monday 16 October 2017

Out and About

Autumn has definitely arrived, the leaves are falling especially with winds over the past few days, though it's been oddly warm. 






The sun at the weekend brought out a few Red Admirals, they made the most of the sun.......on my washing!



The sun caught the cobwebs in the park.



This spider has made it's web on our patio door, I haven't been able to open it properly for a couple of weeks because I didn't want to destroy it!


My daughter spotted this ladybird whilst we were out on a walk


In the park we spotted these mushrooms and was hoping for a Redwing or two but instead we saw a few Mistle and Song Thrush.



In the garden a poppy made a sudden appearance from behind one of my Lavender plants and my fuchsia is still blooming.The Blackbirds are picking at the berries in the surrounding trees. I tidied up the plants in the pond a little and it's full of tiny snails.




If anyone knows what these apple like fruit are, they've been growing in my hedge for years and i've never figured out what they are?



The soundtrack to the past weekend has been Goldcrest, constantly chirping in the trees in the garden, making fleeting appearances as they flit about, i've counted two and they were the first birds up this morning, the noise a lovely start to the day. 

Walking up our street on Sunday morning a Sparrowhawk landed in the tree in front of us briefly before flying after a flock of Starlings, pouncing on a straggler and snatching it right out of the sky, before flying off behind a building. Very cool to see. 

10 comments:

  1. I find those same little snails in my little water garden,(its only 2 ft square) They are good swimmers too! I have to wonder where do they come from? Is that a Fuschia plant, it is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder the same, they appeared pretty quickly after the little pond went in! It is, it was there when we moved in nearly 9 years ago and just this past year or so it's almost doubled in size!

      Delete
  2. What a treat to see the sparrowhawk in action! There's always plenty to discover in autumn, this is a lovely collection of photos. The only thing I can think for your apple like fruits are crab apples or quince but I'm sure you've thought of those already and I'm not sure if they grow in hedges anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fantastic, I've never seen it so close up before! I thought maybe some kind of crab apple, but I haven't found anything quite like them, they're very small too?!

      Delete
  3. Lovely to see Autumn in your photos, apples look like some sort of crab apple, and it always amazes me how snails turn up in a pond ! might have been eggs on the weed you put in. I have heard the odd Redwing flying over the garden at night but not seen one yet.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Autumn is fab for the camera isn't it :) I need to check further into crab apples I think, they're really small fruit for apples? Oh yes I bought plants from the garden centre for the pond maybe there was some on them! There's been plenty of reports of incoming Redwing so i'm sure they'll be everywhere soon xx

      Delete
  4. Lovely autumnal photos - especially all the colours in the leaves :). We had a Red Admiral in the garden last week too. The fruits - could they be quince??

    Oh and guess who managed to dip on Bearded Tits last week yet again!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I think I need to actually cut one of them open and see what's inside that may help!!

      Oh no, what a shame, persevere though, it pays off.......eventually!!

      Delete
  5. They could be Quince or maybe Passion flower fruit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, I'm going to cut one open today see if that helps with the ID!

      Delete