Wednesday 17 January 2018

Yeadon Dam

We had a quick walk around the dam on Sunday morning on the way to my parents. It was bitterly cold so we didn't linger too long!

There were quite a few small flocks of Starlings in the grass on the entrance road.



The birds didn't flock to the jetty for a change, they must have been well fed over the weekend. The usual birds were there - Mallard, Canada Geese, Swans, Coot, Moorhen and quite a few Tufted Duck. Out in the middle a lone Great Crested Grebe and further round a pair of Pochard, not a bird I see there often. The Tufted Ducks came quite close to the banks and we could actually see them swimming under the water, narrowly missing the Mallards, my daughter loved that!










At the top end there was a single Cormorant and lots of Black-headed Gulls. I scanned them all and couldn't find a single Common Gull for a change.




A short visit but it added some of the more common species to this years list.


6 comments:

  1. Lovely photos Pam. It is always good to watch even the more common species I think :) I love January - so many new ticks for the year list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I agree it is. I love making lists so starting the New Year one is always fun!

      Delete
  2. I share your daughter's enthusiasm for the ducks swimming underwater. I lead a trip each year during the second half of March to the north shore of Lake Ontario, and we always make a stop at one spot where the clear, cold water permits excellent views of underwater action. Our favourites are always Long-tailed Ducks which I am sure would make your daughter squeal with delight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that does sound like a great trip, I think we would both enjoy that!

      Delete
  3. Another great list of waterfowl. The tufted duck is on the rare list occasionally here in the US, hope to one day see one! I agree seeing birds swim under water is amazing! We watched a dipper in clear water he was amazingly fast and accurate in his swim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do, it's a beautiful bird! I've seen a Dipper too, they're are fantastic to watch.

      Delete