Monday 16 April 2018

A Stand Off

Last Monday as I left for work I could see a flock of Starlings screeching around a car park near home and as I got closer the screeching got worse. A couple of Magpies were hopping off a fence and flying at a bush then I realised that most of the noise was coming from a Sparrowhawk in the bush. It had a Starling (still alive) in its claws and the Magpies were not happy!

I had grabbed my camera as i'd been planning on taking a few photos as I walked through the local park so I managed to grab a few shots of the angry exchanges. The hawk was not giving up its grip on the Starling so every time a Magpie flew at it, it swung itself at them snapping it's beak.

Unfortunately it seemed quite a stand off that I couldn't wait for the end of or i'd be late for work (I know, I know I should have stayed), I was in fact a little late but hey ho. The photos I got give a pretty good idea of what was happening.












8 comments:

  1. A wonderful sequence of photos and what a great event to witness. Do hope though that the poor starling managed to escape somehow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline, i've never seen a Magpie behave in such a way before!

      Delete
  2. Safe to say it was not a good day for the starling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow amazing encounter..
    That magpie is a would be hero lovely shot when his tail was spread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I love the colours in its tail!

      Delete
  4. Stunning set of photos, it's such a shame you could not have stayed.
    Amandaxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I know I should have, I ended up being late anyway! xx

      Delete