Tuesday 22 May 2018

St Aidan's

We spent a couple of hours walking around on Saturday morning, the weather was glorious, not too hot for walking though I think if we'd stayed later it would have been (for me anyway!).





By the main path towards the reedbeds we were surrounded by Sedge Warblers, Meadow Pipits, Sylark, Goldfinch, Reed Buntings and Linnets. In the reedbeds themselves, more Sedge Warblers, Reed Buntings, Linnets and Reed Warblers.

Meadow Pipit


Reed Bunting



Reed Warbler



Sedge Warbler



Reed Bunting



Linnet


Sedge Wabler


On the water I finally saw two of the Black-necked Grebes which I managed to miss on our last visit! They were distant and soon off into the reeds but I got good enough views.


A couple of Common Terns flew over and just two Swifts. The lack of Swallows, Martins and Swifts was very noticeable, especially compared to last year when we visited around the same time.



There were quite a few chicks on the water, mostly Geese and Coot and one Mallard family.





The paths around the reedbeds were guarded by Black-headed Gulls, they flew off as we approached but settled down again behind us.


My first dragonfly of the year landed on the path in front of us and we saw a moth hidden among the grass. We only saw a handful of butterflies.

Small White


Small China-mark moth?


Common Blue Damselfly


Our time was up.........ok I admit I wanted to be back for the Royal Wedding..........so our time was always going to be limited today but I was hoping for the Grebes and I wasn't disappointed!

8 comments:

  1. I am completely out of the Royal loop but my sis said it was quite something. Saw my first Darner this past week, and many birds are feeding young so Spring is nearly summer. That Reed Bunting is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was, i'm a bit of a sucker for a wedding though! I've just had my first young birds in the garden this week - Starlings & a Robin.

      Delete
  2. I am amazed that you would sacrifice time in nature to watch this non-event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos of the birds and insects you saw. We spotted a Swift flying over the houses a few days ago. I can see how open the site is so you would have been eager to get out of the midday sun:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie :) It really is open, there's no shelter from the sun and it's a long walk around!

      Delete
  4. What a great place to visit and see wildlife. So lovely to see Hawthorn in flower and all those buttercups :) Great pictures and I love all the young ducklings and goslings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flowers are just beautiful everywhere at the moment, it does bring a smile to your face :) Thanks!

      Delete