Monday 1 June 2020

Lockdown Birding Update

It's all about the fledglings at the moment, they are everywhere! In the park about three weeks ago I heard chirping long before I spotted the birds - Long-tailed Tits, around 10 of them huddled in the branches being fed by the adults, what a delight to watch, that made my walk! 










I took a lot of photos and hung around watching a while, even pointed them out to a curious passer by so she could look too! 

Elsewhere it's mostly Starlings, unfortunately my gutter Starlings didn't fledge thanks to the local Magpies but thankfully many more have and the garden has had 30+ fledglings picking it clean throughout the day, they are noisy but entertaining. They are all feeding themselves and making good use of the water dishes we have around.











There's lots of young House Sparrows too but they aren't as self sufficient as the Starlings yet, they do love the birdbath though.









Just this past week there has been a couple of young Goldfinch in the trees and a family of Long-tailed Tits passing through, all staying pretty well hidden but I managed to grab a photo.


Goldfinch fledgling not happy that the adult was eating it flew down and landed on top of it on the feeder knocking it off!



On a walk into the woods, we discovered a Chiffchaff nest, watching one of the adults constantly backwards and forwards with food. Hopefully we'll see the birds when they fledge. Under the motorway and I spotted a Linnet in the fields, another bird to add to the lockdown list. Unfortunately the lack of rain means parts of the stream is drying up and the pond is now closed for dipping, we desperately need some wet weather!

Woodpigeon sunning itself


Dog prints in the stream bed



Small Copper Butterfly



Bullfinch


Greenfinch


The garden is blooming and very green, I have scattered a few different wild flower seeds in the front garden over the past couple of years and allsorts are now flowering.










There are lots of Bees and Hover flies in the garden, the odd butterfly - Brimstone, Speckled Wood, Orange-Tip, Holly Blue plus a Cinnabar Moth. I saw a slightly different looking blue fly and on the nettles we saw a green caterpillar last month a black caterpillar is now munching the leaves.




  

Garden watching has been a joy these past few weeks, it's been good to be able to have an 'office' window for a change, but this is my last week working from home, I go back on Monday. I'm looking forward to my walk again though the thought of being in an office (granted with just one other person and plenty of social distancing) has me a little nervous. I'm sad to be leaving my home office....but on the other hand I need to be able to keep work and home separate, working from home doesn't work for me in the long term!  

10 comments:

  1. How wonderful to see all the young ones out experiencing life and getting a good start on being independent...your wildflowers are beautiful and bringing in the insects which will bring in more birds win win..I know you are anxious about the new normal back at work. Rightly so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sondra, the garden is going great for all the wildlife at the moment! Very weird being back in the office this morning!

      Delete
  2. Lovely to see and read about all the young birds :) A super set of photos and your garden looks wonderful :) It will be an anxious time returning to work (I am still nervous every time I venture out of the front door!!!) so stay safe and well. At least it sounds a quiet office! My son in the last couple of years has mainly worked from home and he works downstairs and refuses to use his bedroom so he can keep both leisure time and work lives separate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline :) It's very odd being back in the office today, but there's only two of us to very manageable!

      Delete
  3. As you say, Pam, this is a wonderful time of the year to observe new life in its myriad forms. This spirit of renewal is keenly felt every year and there is nothing quite so uplifting. I monitor a number of nest boxes erected for Tree Swallows and Eastern Bluebirds, and the other day I had the incredible good fortune to witness the young starting to extricate themselves from the egg. I watched briefly in order not to risk cooling to the eggs, but it is remarkable to see these tiny creatures struggle right from the very beginning. I was quite moved if the truth be known.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a lovely moment :) It certainly brings a joy doesn't it.

      Delete
  4. Siper photos of all the fledglings especially the long tailed tits, one of my favourite birds. You have some lovely flowers and insects in your garden too. I hope going back to the office will go well. Take care:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden looks lovely Pam! I love your starling fledglings, they're so cheeky :)
    Good luck returning to the office, at least it sounds like they're taking the correct precautions with distancing etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, they really are, fun to watch though! Thank you, it's quite weird being back!

      Delete