Tuesday 21 January 2020

Rodley Nature Reserve

I spent a couple of hours at Rodley early afternoon on Saturday. Another cold but beautiful day, it was pretty quiet both people and bird wise but I quite enjoyed the peaceful wander.



Bullfinch


Chaffinch


I also got quite skilled at sitting just behind the framework in the hides so the sun didn't shine right in my face and I could scan most of the water!

Cormorant


Mute Swans


Coot


The fields beside the reserve were full of Gulls, Geese and Crows, lots of Canada with a few Greylag Geese, Black-headed and Herring Gulls. 




In the reedbed hide I had it to myself after a little while and a Kingfisher put in an appearance, I was able to sit and watch it fishing for a few minutes, that was quite a lovely moment.





Further around by one of the screens overlooking the reedbeds I had another moment, I heard a noise to the side of the screen and looked down just as a Weasel came under the fence, it stopped, tilted it's head and looked up at me from only a couple of feet away, I didn't dare move and i'm sure the moment was only seconds but it seemed ages! It eventually turned back under the fence and I breathed again! I mean it was seconds but i've never been so close to a Weasel before and to have it stop and look like that, day made!

I spent a little time watching the birds in the Managers Garden, mostly Jackdaws, Stock Doves and Tits. The trees around were full of Crows, a couple of Pied Wagtails flew over and a noisy Mistle Thrush landed overhead. All the while the sky is filled with the noise of the Geese and Gulls.

Jackdaw


Crow


I didn't have time to stop for a drink as I was due to meet my husband who'd gone for a cycle along the canal whilst I visited the reserve and we were off to visit my brother and his family. I'm lucky they don't live too far from here and we can both squeeze in something we enjoy on the way!

13 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a lovey time, so nice to have a special moment with nature, kingfisher and Weasel.
    I have the day of tomorrow so if the weather is ok I might have a drive over to Rodley.
    On my bike ride today through Weeton, I rode the track past the church a field was full of Redwing and fieldfares, never seen so many in on place.
    Hope you are finding some 20/20 challenges.
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda, I hope you made it to Rodley, I can't remember what the weather was like last week! I haven't seen any Fieldfares yet this winter, they are few and far between on the patch.

      I must admit I haven't started on the 20/20 yet but I do have some ideas! x

      Delete
  2. Seems to me that you saw a decent number of birds, Pam. And there is no downside to a good brisk walk - fresh air, exercise, nature! Great combination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds as though you had a lovely time with some great sightings. The weasel and kingfisher encounters must have been wonderful - wildlife can give us such special moments :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can even though both were brief moments it really gave me a lift for the day!

      Delete
  4. How lovely! The sightings of both kingfisher and weasel must have been very special:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The color on your Kingfisher is amazing! I know the weasel encounter was one you won't ever forget...Great Stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are stunning birds aren't they! Thanks Sondra :)

      Delete
  6. hello pam
    beautiful landscape shots, and the animal photos are great, the kingfisher has something magical, every time I see him I'm fascinated ...
    Regards Frank
    P.S. you could include the translator in your blog, thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Frank, the Kingfisher is a beautiful bird!

      I thought the pages were translated automatically or at least the browser asked if you wanted them translating but perhaps not, I will look into it :)

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you had a lovely time there - it is special when it's just you and wildlife, great shots of the kingfisher... I'm not jealous at all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon, it is isn't it, quite a lovely feeling :)

      Delete