Thursday 15 April 2010

Yeadon Dam

We stopped at the dam last weekend and it was pretty quiet on the water compared to our last visit. The birds that were there had been overfed on bread and I think were feeling pretty lazy!

There were Chaffinch and Great Tits in a small copse of trees to one side of the water, I managed to just get this Chaffinch before it flew of. We watched a Squirrel run about above our heads from tree to tree for a while.

There were plenty of signs that Spring is in full flow now, Coots were building nests, a group of male ducks made some very strong 'passes' at a poor female, nearly drowning her in the process and on a nicer note the trees are now starting look a lot more life like.

What a difference a couple of months makes!

2 comments:

  1. Hallo Pam, we visited Yeadon Tarn for the first time a couple of weeks ago, despite a chilly breeze and being too cold for an ice cream we had a lovely walk around the lake. I bet the reed & shrub margins are good for dragonflies in summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are, I saw my first ones there as a kid. We spent a lot of our life playing round the dam (still can't call it tarn!) we used to search out the frogs and toads, I don't know if there are as many as there used to be. Or it could be that I'm not as willing to get down on my hands & knees and search the water these days ;-)
    Pam

    ReplyDelete